Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Looking for Amélie's Paris

Some of my family from Australia are visiting me at the moment, so we've been trekking around all the regular tourist haunts. Yesterday the day dawned clear and bright, so we headed up to Montmartre in the 18th arrondissement to check out the view over Paris. 

The 'bohemian village' of Montmartre, with its clichéd cafes, dancehalls and perpetually starving artists, is one of the most recognizable images of Paris (after the Eiffel Tower, perhaps!) Made famous by films like Moulin Rouge and Amélie (called, more evocatively, Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amélie Poulain in french), its narrow winding streets are crowned by the breathtaking Basilique du Sacré-Coeur, built in 1873 in order to atone for the crimes committed during the reign of the Paris Commune. The steps leading up to the church are surrounded by large patches of lush green lawn, perfect for lying around enjoying the beautiful spring weather - as the masses of locals and tourists we spotted soaking up the sun yesterday can attest to. 

IMG_2201

We wound our way through the crowds up to the top of the hill, but soon escaped the madness of the main thoroughfare for the calm of the back streets. We wandered past windmills, vineyards and hidden gardens, stopping along the way for icecream and coffee, and were just about to head back down when I caught this glimpse of the basilica. Though the building features prominently on every postcard-stand in Paris, seeing a sliver of it like this from a slightly unusual angle can still take your breath away. 

IMG_2207

I can just imagine Amélie skipping down here on her way home, can't you?  

Alice x  

2 comments:

  1. G'day, Miss,

    Some truly beautifully unadorned photos and accompanying words. Your Parisian entries strike a chord with me as I'm in love with that city even as I live in not-too-shabby southern California. I've been away too long, though, and the itch to return and stay for a long while is acute.

    Thank you for a opening a cool little corner of your world. Though I forget exactly how I stumbled upon your blog (lonelyplanet, I think), I'm glad I did stumble upon.

    Cheers,

    Nik

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooooh the Sacre Coeur. Definitely one of my favourite views of paris. lovely blog. x

    ReplyDelete